Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Over-planning kills magic trip

About the worst hike in my life, my best Couchsurfing experience, and mosquitos.

We started our adventure on a Sunday morning in Prague, without bigger difficulties we got to Salzburg in Austria, where we arranged a blabla car going to beautiful Bled in Slovenia. When we arrived it was dark already, but we found a nice sleeping place right next to the lake. It was pretty muddy but so beautiful in the morning. One of the most beautiful places where I had the chance to wake up. !No, it's not allowed to sleep there, and you shouldn't- we were very lucky we didn't get fined! 
Bled is really a wonderful place worth visiting, also going up one of the hills nearby to get a better view over the whole place. 
With one car, we got to another famous lake in Slovenia- Bohinj. We didn't stay long because we wanted to go for a little hike in Triglav national park. On the way, the man driving the car to the nearby village we wanted to go, told us something like "Ohh you're going to the Black Lake? Are you sure about it girls? It's pretty steep and exhausting to get there." I replied, "Naaah, it's just about six kilometers, google maps say it's just about one and a half hour, that can't be that bad." 
Before you think that I'm extremely stupid- when I was in the Alps the week before the google maps timing was very accurate, even though the way was a bit steep or uneasy. But yeah the locals usually know better. 
It was the worst and most exhausting hike in my life. We almost turned around twice, but after more than three hours we got to that goddamn lake. And the way down? It was even worse. Okay, no, it wasn't worse, but it was more dangerous and my poor untrained legs were shaking all the time. 
At least I know now that I'm a sea person. You know that question: "Do you prefer mountains or the sea?" I was never sure, I love both but if I had to answer the question I'd go for the sea. 
The Black Lake is incredible btw, really worth it. I don't wanna make you think it's impossible or unworthy to go there, I'm simply not used to hikes like this with a backpack. 
Then we took a bus to Ljubljana, where we stayed with four boys who made us pancakes in the morning ♥.

On Tuesday morning after a short walk through Ljubljana and
after 90 minutes of unsuccessful hitchhiking we took a Flixbus to Zadar in Croatia. Our Couchsurfing host picked us up at the bus station and we went straight to the beach for a sunset swim ♥. We got on so well with our host, he was like the definition of the perfect host. He took us to the town in the evening, we shared chocolate and a watermelon, in the morning we had coffee and breakfast together and he lent us bikes so we had the chance to explore the town by bike. Also, we stayed at one of the apartments he was renting during the summer so you can imagine how great that was. I've always had positive experiences when using Couchsurfing, but this one was the best one so far!

We hitchhiked down the coast to Split, beautiful old town, it was just way too crowded and also too hot, during the whole trip I was literally melting but that's what happens when you travel to the south in July. We left the center to go to a not so visited beach, where we found the most beautiful sleeping place ever. Right on the beach with a beautiful view, I wasn't even upset because waking up at five o'clock, a morning swim in the sea is always a good idea.

 

On Thursday we got to Dubrovnik with a blabla car. Even though Dubrovnik is super touristic and expensive it has its magic, especially when you meet all the pretty cats living there. We met some boys who suggested us a nice sleeping place, where they spent last night. They also warned us about the mosquitos, but I thought "how bad can it be?" Bad. Very bad. It felt like mosquitos from whole Dubrovnik wanted to spend the night with us. I couldn't decide if it's worse to get eaten by the army of mosquitos or to melt in the hot sleeping bag. Because I couldn't breathe in the sleeping bag I decided to go for option number one, I took my headphones so I don't hear them flying around my head and finally fell asleep in two in the morning. It can make you so desperate when you're tired af but can't sleep jhsdhshv (description ofmy feelings). 

The next day we hitchhiked to Budva in Montenegro, we lost some time at the borders but besides of that all good! Did you know there are countries that use the Euro and are not part of the EU? I didn't, and learning things thanks to traveling is my favorite way. 
Budva is a nice little town by the sea with not so beautiful beaches but with a wonderful old town, Out of all the towns and cities we visited Budva was my favorite, maybe because there were not so many people or maybe because there were so many cats. We also met some little kittens and my heart just jumps with joy when I see so much cuteness in one place ♥. I set a public trip on Couchsurfing that we're going to Podgorica and got several offers for staying in Budva. We didn't plan to go there at all, I'm so glad we did in the end!

On Saturday we got to the capital city of Montenegro with a blabla car. Podgorica is the smallest capital city I've ever been to (Only 185 000 people live there). It's not really a popular tourist destination, I didn't see a single postcard the whole day. Several people asked us where we are from when they saw our backpacks, people in Montenegro are very friendly! There's not so much to see in Podgorica but these places where you hardly meet any people also have its magic and every city has its pretty corners! We spent a nice evening with our Couchsurfing host and took a taxi early in the morning to catch our flight to Berlin. There's no public transport to the airport, and the only way to get there is with the taxi but the price was more than okay!

8 days, 4 countries, about 1560 km, 18 stopped cars, 3 blabla cars, 3 buses, 1 plane & 8 kg on the back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment