Monday, December 17, 2018

What to do in Porto, Portugal

Porto is actually pretty small so you can do all these things in a single day!

If you wanna see all these places in a single day be prepared to walk a lot, we walked about 16 km to visit them all, but it's definitely worth it. Porto is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to ♥.
I don't mention any cafés and restaurants because a VegGuide for Porto is coming soon!

Don't go to Livraria Lello

First, I would like to start with something that is absolutely overrated and in my opinion really not worth the five Euros entrance price. This bookshop is no doubt beautiful, but not with so many people. We went there in the morning when they were opening because I hoped that it is not going to be so crowded. I was wrong, this place loses all its magic when you can't even move in there. You even have to wait before you can climb the stairs because everyone wants a picture in the middle of them, there are so many people you can't even really see the books, so I think getting a pic in a regular bookshop is a better option haha. The entrance ticket is also a voucher for 5 Euros, but the books are ridiculously expensive.

I've actually read similar reviews of Livraria Lello the day before I went there but I thought it can't be that bad in the morning. Not worth it.
But in the store where you buy the tickets, you can find a nice Harry Potter photo spot, which is pretty cool if you're a Potterhead.

The wall of my life Igreja do Carmo
This is the prettiest wall I've seen in my entire life. I take a picture of it every single time I am in Porto and it is just ♥. Porto is also a paradise for all azulejo lovers and this church is the highlight.
Also, the pretty historical tram passes near Igreja do Carmo

São Bento train station
You can find more azulejo at the São Bento train station.


Capilla de las Armas
The second most incredible wall I've found in Porto is the Capilla de las Armas, so incredible this azulejo ♥

Miradouro da Victoria
You can find this nice viewpoint near Igreja do Carmo.

Ribeira area
This is the neighborhood with a lot of tiny houses and hidden corners. In Porto, it is really worth it to wander without a map for a while and get lost a bit.


Sé de Porto for a view
This cathedral is just a few steps from São Bento and Ribeira and you get a pretty nice view over the city from there. When you go down from Sé de Porto you go through many little streets with a lot of plants.


Walk by the river and get chestnuts
The area by the Douro river is great for a little break and to enjoy the chestnuts which are being sold all over Portugal. They're so delicious! You can also cross the river for a nice view.

Watch the sunset at the lighthouse Farolim das Felgueiras
You can get there with the historical tram number 1 from the station Inferno (for 3 Euros one way), it takes you almost to the lighthouse, the beach is also nice and it is a perfect place for watching the sunset ♥

Humana and Natura
I'm not much into shopping, but I always enjoy to take a look into the various second hands Humana and into Natura, where you can not only find fair clothes but also stationery and travel accessories.

Armazén
If you have some extra time go to the giant vintage store Armazén, there are so many treasures, old postcards, cups, azulejo... It's nice to walk through and its a restaurant as well!

Have you been to Porto? 

4 comments:

  1. Mas nádherný fotky, muzu se zeptat, čím fotis? :) díky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Děkuju! Mám Olympus pen elp-7 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It´s too far, I have to go to school more often because my absence is too high. :D
    But I´m sure that I want to visit this lovely place.. One day in future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To je nádhera! Do Portugalska bych se chtěla podívat. Je to jedno z míst na mém dlouhém seznamu. Letos to asi neklapne, tak snad příští :) Jinak fotky máš opravdu krásné :)
    Inspiration by Linda

    ReplyDelete